Wednesday, June 01, 2016

“DADDY WHERE EVER YOU ARE REMEMBER ME”- LUCKY DUBE


Lucky Dube of South Africa: One of the world’s greatest reggae legends


Lucky Dube of South Africa: One of the world’s greatest reggae legends


Many great people die and nobody remembers them anymore. All that they achieved perish with them forever, but not Lucky Dube.  Like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, etc, the fame of Lucky Dube, the mesmerizing South African reggae star has overflowed its banks, ranking him one of the greatest musicians the world has ever known.


It’s often said good or great people die very young. This is a statement I have never pondered over it until the unexpected death of this perfect gentleman whose songs seek peace, love, unity, and speak against social problems and injustice. 

Like many others, I haven’t overcome the death of Lucky Dube, because I interviewed him, and above all his music is among my favorite reggae collections.


Every song that Lucky Dube made was a hit because his lyrical is brilliant and delightful. His invention and combination of mbaqanga (traditional Zulu) music created such a beautiful melody satisfying music lovers across the globe. 

His song “Daddy where ever you remember me,” is one of my favorites because it reminds me of the day at the age of 19, standing by my father’s hospital bed and he passed away.